Aside from stuffing our faces in November, and our stockings in December — we are embarking on what is traditionally one of the most exciting times of the year.
Proms. Final Exams. Playoffs. Beaches, Bonfires, and most importantly – music !
There seems to be an uncanny relationship between the spring/summer seasons and the element of music. One would reckon that perhaps artists find their best motivation around this time. Year in and year out we discover some of our favorite jams during the months of March-August. For me personally, it was about this time last year when I discovered Bruno Mars’ smash hit, Billionaire. Shaking off the remnants of a dismal winter hangover, the vivacious melody could not have come at a more opportune time. So it is needless to say that I had been all too excited to hear what the music industry would give us this season. And whether you’re cruising the California coast or simply planning a kickass summer kickoff, I have the perfect playlist for you!
- “E.T.” Katy Perry featuring Kanye West: Though not officially released until some weeks later, it was back in February when I had originally suggested this track. Beauty meets the beast in this futuristic track, in which Perry undoubtedly holds her own in collaboration which the genius himself! Ladies this is the perfect track to pregame with your girls to.
- “Heat Wave” Chiddy Bang featuring Mac Miller: Uniquely sampling Martha & The Vandellas, Chiddy Bang manages to transform a timeless classic into a pre-summer anthem. Mix in a feature from one of the hottest rookies in the rap game, Mac Miller, and you have yourself one dope beat for a day at the beach.
- “Hit The Lights” Jay Sean featuring Lil Wayne: It just wouldn’t be a playlist without an appearance from the “Best Rapper Alive”. Granted this is Jay Sean’s track, nonetheless it’s still super hot. Bonafide club banger this season!
- “What The Hell” Avril Lavigne: With no feature, the music vet holds her own on this comeback track. Lively and upbeat, this is the ideal jam for the girl who just wants to have a little fun this season.
- “Rocketeer Remix” Far East Movement featuring Bruno Mars: So you are planning on cruising that Cali coast? Then this one is for you! Bruno Mars adds a sultry, yet laid back feel to this track. With a West Coast type vibe to it, this one is definitely suitable for your joyride.
- “I Don’t Wanna Care Right Now” Lupe Fiasco featuring MDMA: For the fellas! Can’t let the ladies have too much fun. Fresh off Lupe’s new album, “Lasers“, this one is right for when you just wanna relax and hit the scene with the guys.